Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Walking On Eggshells.....

Upon further inspection of myself, I've figured out that I'm more of a "bull in a china shop" type person. If I'm going to do something, I'm going to go in, get it done, and not worry about who or what gets in my way. Kind of cut-throat.

Not the best character quality when you have friends that aren't the same way. In business, which is what I've developed my skills in over the past 4 years, it's great. They call that a "go-getter". You don't go to work to make friends, you go to work to meet a bottom line. It's just that it's not the best in personal relationships and friendships. No one wants to be plowed over.

On the other hand, I have figured out that I don't have to necessarily "walk on eggshells" either. I do, however, have to tone it down so I don't end up plowing over someone just to get what I want and hurting them or our relationship in the process.

I'm a very high-energy type person and can go 90 to nothing all day long, keep going through the night, take a 15 minute power nap, and then start again. That's just always who I've been. It's too much for people sometimes though. Not everyone has that same "go - go - go" attitude that I have.

Especially since I've been back down here on the southside of Atlanta I have experienced an unusually high desire to just constantly be going.

For me, it's a good thing. If I'm constantly on the go, and with other people, I can't get into trouble in the way I used to and the way I would if I were alone and left to my own devices. That's actually part of the way I keep accountability for myself is by going all the time. For the exact reason I just listed.

It's also different and hard for someone who doesn't have the same struggles as you do to understand why you do the things you do. I may seem pretty spuratic and at loose ends, but I generally have a purpose behind what I do......generally.

I guess bottom line is this....I'm going to have to tone it down if I want to keep the friendships I have. All of that is ok, and I don't mind doing it....just pray for me that God will provide new ways of staying accountable to not only myself, but also, and more importantly, to Him. Also pray that God will continue to bless my friendships and continue to grow them into what He would have them to be.

Live for Him,
Stephen

No comments: