Monday, August 2, 2010

An Almost Waffle House Christmas

Tonight I found myself going through the posts that I've done over the past two years of me having this blog, and I stumbled across an excerpt that really struck me. It was about how our family almost ended up at a Waffle House on Christmas Day for lunch. Read below where I've retold the story.

Many years ago the entire family on my mom's side came to Stockbridge and we did Christmas at our house that year. Well, my mom and aunt prepared a giant Christmas Eve dinner. It was so great. All your regulars like turkey, ham, dressing, mac & cheese, mashed potatoes, etc. All of them filled the house with the most amazing smells that everyone loves that time of year.

Well, it turns out that it was really good! So good in fact that the next day we were left with no leftovers and no food in the house!!! Boy were we in trouble! No food, and all the stores were closed for Christmas. So...what did we do?? We set out to find somewhere to eat. I believe there were 4 vehicles total following each other in search of food. We drove all over town and the only places we could find open were Waffle Houses that were way over crowded with very long waits.

We were starting to get worried when all of a sudden something appeared in the distance!!! What could it be??? YES!!! We're saved!!!! Hong Kong King Buffet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHA!!!! Oh yes......I can not tell a lie, all 15-20 of us piled into the chinese buffet restaurant for our Christmas Day lunch.

As you can imagine the thoughts from the movie "A Christmas Story" were flooding all of our heads as my Uncle John sang so elegantly "Fa Ra Ra Ra Ra, Ra Ra Ra Ra!!!" This was surely to be the Christmas lunch we would never forget. We now have a running joke in our family...that was the first time we had all tasted cat. Haha!

Thankfully we all survived and came out of that year with some of the best memories of Christmas that (at least for me) I will ever remember. But isn't that so much like our Christian walk sometimes? We wait until the last minute to prepare for what we need, then we go around looking for different avenues and ways of getting it done quickly and our way. When we finally do turn to God, He always delivers, it's just not always exactly what we were expecting. The key thing to remember is this...it ALWAYS works out! Maybe not always the way you expected it too, and in this situation, maybe better than you expected it too.

Keep in mind as you go throughout your week that if you keep an open mind, and are communicating with your Heavenly Father daily that you might find yourself in a better position in the end than when you started off.

Live for Him,
Stephen

No comments: